Our Rivers of Europe: A Passion Project Coming to Light

 Our Rivers of Europe: a passion project coming to light.


After messing around interviewing scientists for a few podcast episodes (and don't get me wrong, it was incredible, not to mention fascinating, to have the chance to speak to world class experts on a variety of subjects), I have felt that I am being drawn more and more towards a storytelling angle. Conservation, activism, ecology and science communication can only really reach more people if we know how to speak to them and spark imaginations.

So I decided to embark on a slower, more in-depth project. A series of mini audio documentaries, in collaboration with The River Collective - Our Rivers of Europe. The goal is to find again the connection to our rivers we have lost in many parts, with the name aiming to emphasize the fact that these are indeed Our rivers; not just resources we can use, abuse and abandon when we have finished, but living nexuses supporting a diversity of ecosystems and cultures across the world.

For this project, more produced documentaries (if I can call them that ?!) felt a more organic way to highlight our rivers. So here is the first episode, focusing on the river I grew up alongside: the Cam.

It's a little rusty, has many flaws and bumps, and, like anyone, I hate the sound of my own voice. But I decided to put that aside as I felt there's a message that needs to be heard. So, I hope you enjoy, or at least tolerate my first attempt ;)

PS. I'm travelling throughout Europe over the summer, if you are connected to a river and would like to be part of this project please get in touch ✍️ Later this month I'll be exploring the Sava in Slovenia, researching its pollinator communities and hopefully discovering a few of its hidden secrets...

1. The Danube, Budapešt 🇭🇺
2. The Dronne, France 🇫🇷 (with Tamar, a huge inspiration)

PPS. If you got to the bottom of this, congratulations and many thanks for your time - if you could share this that would be amazing 💙



Myself and Tamar, a huge inspiration, on the Dronne, Dordogne, France.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end of fishing for Alaska's prized Red King Crab?

Fieldwork Notes from Slovenia